27 February 2009

I've been in Dunedin over three weeks now, which means I've had four Saturdays--and spent every Saturday morning at the farmer's market. It's one of those traditions that makes me feel at home. The same booths are there every week, and I'll make a few circuits and pick up the goods: I always buy tomatoes from the same stand, a big bag of what they call to-mah-toes in multiple colors and sizes, and swiss chard from a middle-aged woman and her two children. There's a crepe stand where I snag a breakfast to eat while browsing, and a vegetarian cafe out of a trailer where they make the best vegeburgers (as they call them here) I've ever had, with beets, hummus, salad dressing, and too much lettuce. Mmm-mmm. And I'm learning how to buy food here, when I need to carry my food home--it's a little different from grocery shopping in Errol, where I needed to buy enough provisions for a two-week haul. I always bring my back-pack or Trader Joe's grocery bag (which tags me as an American, though probably only to other Americans, since they don't have Trader Joe's here), and don't buy more than I can carry.  

But lectures commence on Monday (can I say finally?), so soon Saturday morning grocery shopping won't be the only pattern in my life. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i like imagining this, you in your most essential element--tomato.