18 February 2009


Today I sort of inadvertently went birding. I mean, I like birds and all--but I don't usually trip out the door with plans to go birding. Sometimes these things happen. 

So I go to the Botanic Gardens to walk around quite a bit (and cut through them on my way to the grocery store), and this morning I got to see two birds I'd earmarked in the little bird book I picked up at the Department of Conservation offices: the kereru or New Zealand pigeon (above), and the eastern rosella (below). In the North American section, no less! I was so excited I stubbed my toe on the sign for honeysuckle. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are cool, kari. and i'm laughing and you. i saw a lovely magpie yesterday (at least that's what i think it was--a very long tail). and the blackbirds are so inspired, so plump with charming orange beaks.

Unknown said...

kari. I finally caught up on your posts (the last week and half has been jammed with tests and papers). I like it.

please jump in that water, or at least stick a toe in. It looks so blue and lovely.

it's good to hear what you're up to friend.

Unknown said...

P.S. Have you heard? We're going to be living together next year!! :) I'm glad.

kari said...

I AM excited you're living with us shell! and don't worry, I've been in the water--fully dunked.