10 June 2009

One last hike (tramp, in New Zealish): me and four others on the Copland Track, in to Welcome Flat Hut and then out a day later, after spending a day studying and reading and exploring and soaking in hot pools (yes, hot pools). 

On the walk in we had beautiful weather, and ambled beside the Copland River which was the true-blue of glacial meltwater, and lined with the coolest rocks (schist, I think, only because I know the basement rock in New Zealand is mostly schist and I don't think it was anything else). On the walk out it rained and poured, we walked 17k in 6 hours, the river had turned muddy brown and all the waterfalls had turned on. We put the flood bridges to good use, but nearly every inch of my body was wet when we got back to the car. Which isn't to say it wasn't worth it. 

No comments: