19 May 2010

Flow

My osteopath congratulates me
on bones that could last 300 years.
So count on chard among the ash,
son, daughter, that you sift into
Scott Springs that feeds
Scott Creek that
swells Rocky Run.

Along the way I startle a trout
nourish a patch of emerald cress
before I spill into
warrior river Tomahawk to
float with the big Wisconsin
a molecule of the Mississippi
an atom flung into the
blue Gulf of Mexico to be
inhaled by the burning sun.

-Margot Peters

I picked this poem up at Necedah NWR the other day--it was on a bookmark in the visitors' center. It seems especially appropriate because today I went kayaking for a long time in the sun, and saw herons and swallows and a kingfisher and a snapping turtle sunning on a log. What is it about water?

Otherwise, not too much happening (it was my day off, remember?). I went to the farmers' market in Baraboo and now I'm thinking about joining a CSA so I don't need to buy all my produce at Walmart.

No comments: