01 December 2010

Beautiful Sunday

The streets are empty as a jar

I could begin an important job
something that would give me satisfaction

but I wander to the windows
one after another
all morning long

Their brightness oppresses me

The words of one sentence
shake against each other
the first forgotten
the last trailing off

We should have gone to the orchard today
instead of yesterday in the rain

I can't get started
reminding myself of too many things
feeling the presence of others
which isn't their fault

I could walk, taking a book
or leaving that behind
have my coffee outside in the sun

but somehow things lack savor
although I'm not despairing

Beautiful---Beautiful---Sunday!

and I can go nothing

the day has already been taken

It's been waiting
but I don't want to lie down

-Miriam Levine, 1976

Miriam Levine has a blog, incidentally.

1 comment:

Shari said...

that poem describes exactly how i'm feeling right now. thank you, kari!