20 June 2012

On a Picture by Cézanne

There’s no description in the braided stone,
the pear, the stone in the pear, the birchbark,
bread hills on the snowfall tablecloth.
The dog of work gnaws the day’s short bone,
snarls a mountainside into lavender and green.
In the mind where objects vanish, almost is all.
Element of pitcher, sky, rockface, blank canvas
plastic and vast in one off-center patch.
To copy what’s invisible, to improvise
a soul of things and remake solid life
into fresh anxious unlifelike form.

-W. S. Di Piero, 1995

Why do I think we read this poem in high school? I'm not sure, because I'm pretty sure the poem we read was about a painting by Magritte, not Cézanne. Still--it would've been sophomore year, which was the year my English grade dipped as low as a D due to sheer laziness before I made a desperate scrabble towards mediocrity. I still had to cry in Ms. Kuhl's office to get permission to take A.P. Language the next year--and this is why I don't reminisce about high school. Sophomore year was an especially strange one for me; maybe the only redeeming feature was meeting the best car in the world (oh, I'm sure there were other good things about that year--but my memories are hazy, and one of the big ones involves me breaking my nose).

No comments: