23 March 2013

I'm visiting family in the south of Norway for the Easter (Påske) holiday, and experiencing the barest brushing of spring.We saw a northern lapwing today, and one of my relatives said that, as one of the first birds to migrate back to Norway from warmer climes, they're a sign of spring here. "Not a very good one," she said.

We were in Lista, which is the name of both the region and the town my grandmother was from. The town is windy and flat. There are farms and a lighthouse. Denmark is somewhere across the ocean. The Germans occupied the area once, and there are signs of older settlements around--stone carvings that date to the Bronze Age, Viking burial mounds. "But mostly it's sheeps and fish," my second cousin said. "If you're ever wondering where you came from."

1 comment:

A. B. Goss said...

I imagine this must be what Ursula K Le Guin imagined for the Uplands (though much less populous) in the Annals of the Western Shore books. Don't know if you've encountered those, I just listened to all three of them in audio book.

Here it was 50 degrees all winter and now that it's March we've had nothing but snow. Do you remember telling me when we were kids that all the seasons were going to change? I can't help thinking of that quite often lately.

On an unrelated note, I had my last day of work yesterday. I quit to finish that story I told you about, among other things.