11 April 2009

Happy Easter!

Dad (hi Dad) told me I should start posting a "Sunday sermon" in my blog to go with Wednesday poem day (I'm not sure how). I think he was kidding, but in honor of the holiday, here are some thoughts on celebrating Easter in New Zealand.

On Good Friday I went to a Tenebrae service at the Anglican church on the Octagon (not pictured). Easter kind of snuck up on me this year, as Easter is wont to do. But it's especially strange to be celebrating this holiday while the air tastes like fall and I eat roughly two farmer's market apples per day. We (me, my flatmate Sandra, and her friend Alex) are planning to make Easter dinner tonight, and it involves pumpkins and no asparagus. Easter in fall, to me, represents the death with hope of resurrection, while Easter in spring emphasizes the resurrection itself. It's not better or worse, just different.

It's funny, too, because now when I picture the garden of Gethsemane I see lush ferns and trees with yellowing leaves. And at the Easter Vigil service I went (on Holy Saturday; same church) the call to communion was in Maori as well as English.

p.s. This is a scheduled post, which means I wrote it ahead of time (Saturday) and set it to show up...now. This week it my mid-semester break (I know, I'm in the middle? Already?), so I'll be heading up to Auckland for some adventures. All that to say, I won't be around (the internet) much this week, and I'm not even really around right now. Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter to you and thanks for the sermon. We had a great day in VT. D.