09 May 2009

Today I got dressed in my sleeping bag--that's how cold it is inside our little flat, with its big windows and thin walls and no central heating. My breath condensed inside. The forecast was for snow, and our cockle-collecting field trip was cancelled due to inclement weather (the first time in seven years our professor has cancelled a field trip--we were all gathered outside the zoology building, bundled in raingear and sweaters, when we drove up in his SUV and blue and yellow fleece hat and told us we could go home). I was actually disappointed, because I had planned to bring a bag a squirrel away some cockles, aka little-neck clams, for steaming at home--the cockle beds we were going to were supposedly the largest in New Zealand? The world? I forget.

So that's what's happening down here. Welcome to the deep south.

No comments: