07 July 2010

Well, the month's up, and Wednesday poemday is back by popular demand (...two people). I just decided I might as well take the month off.

Lake Isle of Innisfree

I will arise and go now, and go to Innisfree,
And a small cabin build there, of clay and wattles made;
Nine bean rows will I have there, a hive for the honey bee,
----And live alone in the bee-loud glade.

And I shall have some peace there, for peace comes dropping slow,
Dropping from the veils of morning to where the cricket sings;
There midnight's all a glimmer, and noon a purple glow,
----And evening full of the linnet's wings.

I will arise and go now, for always night and day
I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore;
While I stand on the roadway or on the pavements grey,
----I hear it in the deep heart's core.

-William Butler Yeats, 1888

Also, I am going to recommend this article unequivocally. But, yes, it is a review of a restaurant. I remember when Frank Bruni stepped down as the restaurant critic for the Times, and I didn't understand what the big deal was (who reads restaurant reviews if you aren't going to go to the restaurant?), but now I think I kind of get it. You (probably) aren't going to go to the restaurant. But it's something worth reading about for itself. So read it.

1 comment:

april said...

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL POEM -- what a really beautiful poem. Long live wednesday poems! Amen.